If any of your tooth is missing then it will not only be inconvenient while eating your favorite food but also you tend to be more self-conscious while talking to some one or smiling at others. Thanks to modern technology, now with the help of dental implant procedure, you can get back your original smile and also eat your favorite food like before.
What is dental implant?
Dental implant which is also known as implant dentaire is a procedure by which an artificial tooth or teeth will be surgically implanted in your mouth. This artificial tooth will be of titanium material which is almost like your original tooth and will be chosen based on your jawbone and also all other teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implant?
Dental implant has become so much popular in the USA that as per the statistics available at American Dental Association (ADA), every year more than 5.5 million number of implants are done by the dentists in the USA. Following are the reasons for their popularity
- After you perform dental implant your tooth will never shift or slip and you will get same amount of safety and stability that you get from your natural teeth.
- You can clean or maintain your teeth in the same way that you clean your natural teeth.
- Implanted tooth does not depend upon the adjacent teeth for support and hence your tooth structure remains the same.
- Implanted tooth will also prevent shifting of the neighboring teeth and therefore your face contour and jawbone will remain preserved.
- You can chew, speak easily with implanted teeth
How the teeth are placed
During the procedure of placing the implant, local anaesthesia is used so that the patient will not feel any pain. After the procedure is complete, the patient may feel slight pain and swelling which can be taken care of with the help of prescribed medication. During the process of healing the patient must take soft and cold food and also may take lukewarm soup.
After waiting for 2 to 6 months depending upon the case, the dentist will place the artificial crown or teeth on the implant. During this period both your bone and implant fixture will grow together which is called by dentist as osseointegration. You may be provided with temporary crown so that you can chew your food or speak properly.
During the osseointegration the implant will remain covered under the gum tissue. After that when your artificial teeth are ready then it is connected with the fixture of the implant.